Sunday, January 8, 2012

Time to Write

You have such a busy life...where do you find the time to write?

I find the time to write, because, for me, it is the time to write.

Sometimes I would love nothing more than to write and draw all day.  Occasionally, on a weekend, I can. But, I write a little every day.  Seven days a week.  I have created a practice of rising very early each morning, in order to give myself an hour or so, pen in hand.  I can thank Julia Cameron, author of The Artists Way, for this.  What she calls “morning pages”.  But ideas can come at any time.  I’ve been known to stop in my tracks while walking in order to capture a thought.

Over the past couple of years I have managed to fill several journals, many sheets, and all manner of scraps of paper – you’d laugh if you saw some of them, with my bits and pieces of writing and little drawings.  I’ve been squirreling them away in a drawer, unsure if, how, or when, they would ever see the light of day.  All I knew was that I enjoyed writing them.  And that is always reason enough.

Life must never be too busy to do what is in your heart.  That little voice telling you to paint a picture, collect stamps, write a song, learn Italian, is saying that this is an important part of who you are.  It is not to be denied, trivialized, or put into a drawer for another day.  Today is the day.

"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein."  H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

All good things, k

PS...Heartfelt thanks to all of you who reached out to encourage this new adventure of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment