Sunday, January 8, 2012

My First...Album

Yesterday we spent the day with friends. After mugs of truffle and thyme mushroom bisque and a platter of crusty baguette, cheese, pates, and onion confit, we set off for an afternoon and evening in our neighbourhood, Ottawa's Byward Market. 

First stop a great music shop, specializing in both new and used, including a great section of vinyl. Yes, vinyl has "got it's groove back". And this past year our friend has invested in a great sound system and a beautiful new turntable. Who doesn't miss the album. They took up more space, but gave more space - more space for artwork, pictures, liner notes and so much more. 

I was happily flipping through the records and then came to a stop. The Monkees first album. Or more to the point, my first album. Christmas 1966 from my grandma and grandpa. Before you laugh, this was the first of four consecutive number one albums in the US for the group and took the top spot on Billboard for 13 weeks. It has sold over five million copies. And, I had one of the first. 

Sadly, all my albums were stolen once upon a time. But, here on the shelf were the four smiling faces that brought me back to my childhood bedroom and the little record player that folded into a little handled case. Perfect for carrying to over to a friends, with your albums tucked under your other arm. 

It didn't take much encouragement to buy it again, with the promise that he would give it a spin, when I next visit. I can't wait. In the meantime, I'll just be sure to keep it out of the sun. 

"The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry

 

No comments:

Post a Comment