Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Love of Humanity

It's just a part of me. After more than 35 years of working and volunteering in the not-for-profit sector, it is as much who I am, as anything else about me.

I've seen a lot of change over the years in philanthropy and the voluntary sector. But the most heartening is that more and more, people around the world are getting involved. Caring and sharing. Locally and globally.

Philanthropy etymologically means "the love of humanity". There are as many ways to care as there are important things to care about. And, there are no "small ways". Every act is one of significance.

The what and the ways continue to evolve, but at the heart the reason remains the same.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Winston Churchill

It is a very special gift when you are surrounded by those who share the values that you hold dear. I am thankful every day for the people and experiences that have shaped my life. And, while it never feels like enough, I know that we have made a difference in the lives of others too.

No comments:

Post a Comment