Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bring Yourself

longhand[ˈlɒŋˌhænd]
n ordinary handwriting, in which letters, words, etc., are set down in full, as opposed to shorthand or to typing

I write in pen.  Longhand as it is called.  While I’m not so sure about the “ordinary” part, the “set down in full” resonates.

Writing this way means that, for me, it has become a two-step...pen on paper...fingers on keyboard.

I’ve found that there is something that gets lost in the transition from paper to screen.  Perhaps it is remembering how I felt when the words first arrived.  Perhaps it is the ambience that surrounds me as I write and draw .  Perhaps it is something I can’t quite put my finger on.  Or, perhaps that is it – “I can’t put my finger on it”.  I can’t infuse the look and feel of the way I write into a computer.  Neither the style of writing itself or the little pictures that often accompany it. 

So, in the quest to move, ever so slightly, closer to the genuine article.  To truly bring more of myself to this endeavour.  Behold the drawings.  Through the magic of scanning (and the even more magical ability of mon amour to hook up said scanner and teach me to use it) you can now see what I see when I look at my pages.  Well, minus the incomprehensible (sometimes even to me) writing and the odd crumb.

And isn’t that the point. For all of us. To bring as much of ourselves as possible to everything we do.


                     Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

All good things, k

1 comment: