Sunday, May 13, 2012

Magical Moment

Do you say something.

The young woman came walking towards me.  Dressed in white, hair adorned, face glowing, I couldn't help but notice her radiance.  As she neared, I said "You look so beautiful."  She replied, "You don't know how much I needed to hear that at this moment.  In fact, I didn't even know how much I needed to hear that until this moment. Thank you." 

Following behind her were two other lovely young women.  Overhearing our exchange, they said "We thought the same thing, but wouldn't have reached out to express it.  It's hard to know whether you should."

I shared with them three questions, attributed to Socrates and Buddhist teachings.

Is it true?  Is it kind?  Is it is necessary?

Thus began a conversation - creating a circle of sharing that was instantly warm, intimate, and important.

As we parted with hugs, contact information was exchanged, and a photo taken to capture the special moment. 

To my delight I awoke the next morning to find the picture and a heartfelt message from my new radiant friend.  "Thanks to you all for making my year and for allowing me to memorialize that special moment when one woman decided to be gracious to another.  What powerful evidence of kindness in action!  Let's all remember to speak up when the inspiration strikes, always bearing in mind the guiding questions Kim iterated for us.  I am grateful for that magical moment that opened up and hugged me, when I didn't even realize I needed it.  You can bet that's going in my reserves for a rainy day." 

I do so love those times when a chance meeting seems serendipitous, but I know that in fact, there was a reason we all connected.  I also know that the outer beauty I saw, was a result of the inner beauty that was within. 

Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is? ~Frank Scully

All good things, k

No comments:

Post a Comment